holiday

Trials,Tribulations and Happy Moments in my busy life

Thursday 9 May 2013

Tudor Donkey Wheel !

Hi folks,

just a rider to Greys Court blog I thought you would like to see the Wheel that the Donkey used in the 14th century to raise the water from the well, I think it would be frowned upon today.


The pictures were taken in very low light with unwanted light streaming in from all the wrong places.




What a poor life for the donkey! You can see the bucket at the top of it's travel. 


Close up of the Capstan, note the two units, one empty and one full as the bucket reached the top.


Diagram of how the wheel worked.


There, I really feel sorry for that donkey.

Best Regards, Mike

2 comments:

  1. So do I Mike ! Poor thing......I would have plenty of carrots to give him as a reward !!
    Although the light was a problem, I think you did a great job as the pics look wonderful ....Well done Mike !!!
    hugs
    Chris and Dave R
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh .. poor flippin Donkey, I hope they gave it a lot of time to rest! Great work regarding the poor light and the pictures Mike ... super post .
    Eileen xxx

    ReplyDelete